Journalism cover letter
View this sample cover letter for journalism, or download the journalist cover letter template in Word.
As a journalist, you know the importance of exceptional writing and storytelling. To be considered for top journalism jobs, your cover letter must demonstrate your skills and experience, as well as your passion for your work. For writing tips, view this sample cover letter for a journalist, or download the journalism cover letter template in Word.
Additionally, you can learn more about media careers and editorial careers, as well as look for journalism jobs on Monster.
Journalism cover letter template
Sometown, MA 55555 | (555) 555-5555 | firstname.lastname@example.org | Portfolio URL
October 4, 2017
Mr. Chad Dallas
4350 West Ave.
Sometown, MA 55555
Dear Mr. Dallas:
As a journalism and mass communications major at XYZ University preparing to graduate next month, I am eager to launch my career in newspaper journalism. Your news reporter opening advertised on Monster is an excellent match to my qualifications.
While studying at XYZ, I gained experience as a:
- News reporter intern at DEF News, where I wrote news and feature articles of interest to Sometown-area residents.
- Reporter and editor at The Gold Standard (XYZ’s student newspaper), where I earned a “National Pacemaker Award” (considered to be the “Pulitzer Prize” of American college student journalism) for my series on a fraternity hazing.
- Blogger for Somedomain.com, a student-run news website covering the local and national political scene that I co-launched and grew to 7,500 subscribers. In this role, my colleagues and I produced short-form videos as well as long-form features for daily newscasts.
- Sports reporter covering the university’s football and basketball teams for XYZ’s website.
In both classroom and work settings, I earned a reputation as a dedicated journalist with a passion for accurately covering important issues and events, engaging readers and helping fuel positive change.
It would be an honor to report for your award-winning newspaper and work with your talented team of writers and editors. I am confident that my experience publishing and promoting content on social media and delivering on multiple platforms would benefit your newspaper as you move to digital delivery.
You may review my résumé and news clips at somedomain.com. Thank you!
See all sample cover letters on Monster.
Real resume and cover letter samples for college students seeking internships. Use these no-cost samples to develop your own resume and cover letter.
Try Building Your Own Resume!
Sample Law Internship Resume
- : The Honors and Distinctions section especially helps this resume stand out.
Sample Research Internship Resume
- : This resume uses a chrono-functional format to emphasize skills.
Sample Marketing Internship Resume
- : This student states a clear goal and targets his resume to a very specific internship opportunity.
Sample International Internship Resume
- : The internship-seeker hopes to apply his personal experience in living abroad and speaking a second language to an international internship.
Sample Broadcasting Internship Resume
- : The student uses an attractive design and makes the most of her college experience.
Sample Project Internship Resume
- : This resume makes the most of the student’s relevant class projects.
Sample Chrono-Functional Summer Analyst Internship Resume
- : This student has strong unpaid experience but little paid work experience. He therefore plays up his transferable skills in his resume.
See also our New Graduate Sample Resumes and Cover Letters. Most of these are easily adaptable as internship resumes and cover letters.
And take advantage of all of our free resume resources and cover letter resources, including articles, tutorials, quizzes, and much more!
The Quintessential Guide to Finding and Maximizing Internships
*These fictionalized resumes and cover letters are just a small part of a free Quintessential Careers Press e-book, The Quintessential Guide to Finding and Maximizing Internships, by Katharine Hansen, Ph.D., and Randall S. Hansen, Ph.D. The book provides eight chapters that will help you decide what you need in your internship experience, tell you how to find one, give you the tools to secure one, teach you how to make the most of your internship experience, show you how to turn an internship into a job, and provide internship resources.
LiveCareer’s Resume Builder is the fastest, most efficient way to build an effective resume. Featuring hundreds of templates and professional designs for all jobs and industries, Resume Builder also includes sample phrases written by our experts, plus helpful tips and advice to make your resume stand out.
We’ll guide you step by step through the process, so you can build an impressive resume that will make employers want to know more. Ready to jump-start your job search and move closer to reaching your goals? Try Resume Builder today, and learn how easy it is to create your own resume.
We’re so confident that you’ll love our Resume Builder that you can try it for FREE!
For more inspiration, peruse our Sample Professional Resumes for All Jobseekers.
Additional Resources for Jobseekers: